Anthony Joshua Snubbed as Mo Farah Wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Mo Farah was named the winner of the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year award on Sunday night, beating hot-favourite, Anthony Joshuato the honour.
Viewers failed to hear his winning speech when the live video link signal was cut off immediately after he was handed the trophy as he could not make it to the event.
So huge was the upset that Farah’s new coach Gary Lough was caught on camera telling his wifePaula Radcliffe:“That’s a fucking joke.
”The Somali-born Londonerhad been a 50 to one outsider with bookmakers to win the prestigious award, with the boxer Anthony Joshua considered the overwhelming favourite.
AJ failed to make the podium. Image: Sun Nigerian-born Joshua, the reigning WBA, IBF and IBO heavyweight champion, had been widely expected to triumph but he was 18 votes short of the podium, finishing behind Paralympic sprinter Jonnie Peacock and Superbikes rider, Jonathan Rea.
When the video link was re-established, Farah didnot disguise his surprise that he had won with 83,524 votes to Rea’s 80,567.
“I am pretty amazed,”he said.
“There are such great people on the shortlist from Anthony Joshua to Lewis Hamilton and Jonnie Peacock.
“I do wish I was there I wish I was giving back to people. My son and twin daughters have been sick. 
In fact, while I was in the room my son was throwing up everywhere. 
I owe it to the public andpeople who supported me and voted [for] me. I can’t stop staring at it,”he said, gesturing at the trophy.
It is the first time Farah has won the Sports Personality of the Year awards, in what was another hugely successful calendar year that sawhim triumph in the 10,000m in the 2017 World Championships, while also claiming the silver in the 5,000m.

Comments