Sam Smith Speaks on Gender Identity: ‘I Feel Just As Much Woman As I Am Man’

Sam Smith has opened up for the first time about his thoughts on gender identity and belonging, giving fans a rare glimpse into who he was and who he has become.
Speaking with Sunday Times, the Stay With Me singer talked about his sexuality, and why it took him so long to come out. 
“Looking back on it, it was the fear of saying the wrong thing and offending,” the 25-year-old singer said.
He continued, “And I was 19 when I started writing the first album. I’d just moved to London from a village—I was literally the only gay in the village. I didn’t know what I wanted to say.

”Sam Smith went further to reveal that his song, Him,was about a son coming out to his father, and he added that his other songs show the progress he has made. 
“I think they show my growth, my confidence. I feel like they show me. They show the gay guy I’ve become,” he said.

Recently, he was spotted wearing a pair of femaleshoes, and when asked about it, he said, “I love a heel,” he said. “I’ve got loads of heels at home.
And it’s not just shoes that he loves, but feminine ensembles.
“People don’t know this, but when I was 17, I remember becoming obsessed with Boy George and Marilyn  [Monroe], and all that. There was one moment in my life where I didn’t own a piece of male clothing, really. 
I would wear full make-upevery day in school, eyelashes, leggings with Dr Martens and huge fur coats, for 2.5 years,” he said.

And when he was asked how it feels to be a cisgender man, he said,  “I don’t know what the title would be, but I feel just as much woman as I am man.
”The singer also revealed that he has an “addictive personality”. He said, “Last year…I’d say the entire year, I went out too much, I started drinking way too much and I started smoking cigarettes, stupidly. 
And I lost a little bit of control towards the end. I haven’t drunk now in 2.5 months.”
“I will drink again—it wasn’t ‘A Drinking Problem’,”he clarified. 
“I was just going out too much.
“Though he was recently spotted with 13 Reasons Why star Brandon Flynn, triggering dating rumours, Sam Smith says he is single.And he has grown into the person he always wanted to be.

Comments