Frank Ocean Defeats His Father in $14.5 Million Defamation Suit

Frank Ocean’s father, Calvin Cooksey, will not be receiving the $14.5 million he expected to get when he dragged his son to court,Billboard is reporting.
Here’s how their drama started:Cooksey filed the defamation lawsuitagainst his son over a Tumblr post the singer wrote in June 2016 in the wake of the Orlando massacre. 
Frank had reportedly accused his father of using a homophobic slur when he was still a child.“I was 6 years old when I heard my dad call our transgender waitress a faggot as he dragged me out of a neighborhood diner saying we wouldn’t be served because she was dirty,” the singer saidin the post, adding, “That was the last afternoon I saw my father and the first time I heard that word,I think, although it wouldn’t shock me if it wasn’t.
”This upset the estranged father, because almost a year after the Orlando shooting where at least 49 people were shot dead at the Pulse gay club, Cooksey claimed his son lied against him, addingthat the accusation damaged his financial opportunities in film and music. Hence, why he filed a $14.5 million lawsuit against his son.Well, he lost.
According to Billboard, U.S. District Judge Stephen V. Wilson ruled that Cooksey did not provide sufficient evidence of defamation, that Frank never mentioned Cooksey’s name in the Tumblr post and so the lawsuit was based on speculation. Plus, Cooksey did not produce anyone who saw the post and believed it was about him.
Frank Ocean on his own part argued that his post was true, adding that his father’s suit did not provide sufficient claims to libel, and his father did not show how Frank’s post professionally injured him.And that was how the dreams of $14.5 million went kaput.

Comments