Obasanjo vows not to join any political party in Nigeria

Former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has put to rest any idea that he might re-join the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) or move to the All Progressives Congress by declaring that he was not interested in being a member of any party in the country.
The former president who was a chieftain of the PDP ceremoniously tore his membership card after he blamed the party for going against some of the party’s code.There was speculation that due to the closeness between Obasanjo and President Muhammadu Buhari, the former president may join the APC.
Daily Post reports that the former made the declaration not to join any party when he received members of the National Commercial Tricycle and Motorcycle Owners and Riders Association in Abeokuta, Ogun state.
He also advised the commercial drivers to shun the consumption of alcohol when driving.
He said:“As for me now, I don’t belong to any political party and I willnot belong to any political party. The only thing that is of concern to me is the greatness of Nigeria. But let me tell you that I am always available to you for pieces of advice just as I promise to talk to you the way I would talk to my own children.
“You should be rest assured that I will advise you honestly and sincerely. 
You know that I am not usually afraid to tell anyone off, you know I am not afraid to do so. Let me also advise you against drunkenness and drug. 
Don’t get involved in them, because most of the accidents on our roads have been traced to abuse of drug and drunkenness among drivers.
“Before the existence of your organisation, what we knew in Nigeria were taxi drivers. 
But because of hard economic situation in the military government days, KekeNAPEP came in. I even mandated and made provision for Keke NAPEP all over the country, because where everwe may be, we need a means of transportation.
“As our population increases, so much more efforts will be needed to move people from one place to the other as our urban areas multiply so much that we need to move people from urban and sub-urban areas.
“Let me tell you that the two and the three wheelers means of transportation will continue to be relevant in the country because of the situation we find ourselves.

Comments